Post-Conceptual Hyperbolic Word Creation
Chris and Rob talk about plotting the Perseids in 3D, Elon Musk’s ‘hyperloop’, and the Golden Age of science writing. There’s also the best paper abstract ever.
Episode #85. If you have anything you’d like us to look at, or any questions you’d like us to answer - use the links at the top of the web page at http://recycledelec.com. Follow us on Twitter @recycledelec @orbitingfrog and @chrislintott.
- Is this the best time for science writing? :
- Elon Musk’s ‘Hyperloop’ and why we need more public discussion of bonkers sci-fi becoming reality. LA-SF in 35 minutes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperloop
- It’s not the Universe, it’s you : http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2013/08/one-physicists-thinks-the-universe-is-not-expanding-and-he-might-not-be-crazy/#.Ugpz8HMiZC4.twitter
- Possibly the best abstract ever : http://qix.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/07/11/1077800413489534.abstract
- GZ2 Paper is out: http://t.co/eIJ4ZidAtZ
- New Planet Hunters paper : http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.0369
- Perseids: animation and path tracking: http://orbitingfrog.com/2013/08/13/amazing-perseid-meteor-animation/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/30974264@N02/9520622404/in/photostream/
- Lazarus comets : http://www.ras.org.uk/news-and-press/224-news-2013/2325-a-cometary-graveyard
- Aeon magazine : http://www.aeonmagazine.com/
- The Odd Couple: http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1335/
Audio content Copyright 2013 Chris Lintott and Robert Simpson. Many thanks to Oxford Press Office for recording space. Podcast Image courtesy of Flickr user bazik (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bazik/395792175/).